Monday, June 11, 2012

Day Two

It's been a long day as I sit down to type this. We had thunder showers this morning. Nothing severe, and without too much rain. It came down in buckets for a short time. But the weather has been so dry lately, that we could have used a good long, slow soak. The rivers that surround St. Louis - the Mississipi, Missouri, and Meramec are all running low. The earth in my yard is hard and cracked. I've been watering the flowers, tomatoes, and basil that I'm growing in pots on my deck. But I haven't been watering the yard at all this year. It's mostly weeds and little grass, so I don't feel bad about not watering.

After the rain, the clouds stayed around for most of the day. Grey, cool, and cloudy. Which was pleasant. I could stand a few more days like this. I was able to turn the air conditioner off and that always makes me happy; both the saving on the electric bill and the knowledge that I'm cutting my carbon footprint a little.

This evening I taught music classes at the Folk School and had a good time doing it. The students I have in my two classes seem to get what we're trying to do and even though they aren't as dedicated as I'd like them to be, they seem to be dedicated enough for their satisfaction. I enjoy giving them tunes to work on and making sure that they are aware of the sources these tunes come from. It's a way of passing the knowledge and enjoyment on and teaching beginners and intermediate students is, in a way, paying back the many people who have been generous with their time and talent in teaching me.

Then it was home and relaxing for a while. Tuna salad and a Newcastle Brown Ale for dinner.

Now, Im' sitting here at the laptop sipping a glass of ice water, assessing the day and thinking it's time for bed. It's been a good day. I expect tomorrow to be at least as good. But you never know.

No comments:

Post a Comment