Monday, June 18, 2012

Day Nine (or Five Through Seven)

What I'm reading: Joyce's Ulysses
Current wine: Cellar No. 8 Pinot Noir
Current emotion: Happier and more confident than I've been for a couple of weeks.

It's been a few days since I've had time to gather my thoughts and sit down in front of the computer. So, this evening, I'm going to see how it works to condense the last few days into a single post.

Day Five: A friend's mother passed away a few days ago and Jane and I went to the funeral today. She was 90 years old and had been ill for quite a while, but she was sharp and active right up until a month or so before the end. Sad to see her go, but very happy for her that she's left her body and is off on a new adventure. The funeral mass was what I had expected: ritual, songs, and a priest that didn't know Fran well and didn't really know what to say. I was surprised that since I left the Catholic church a few years ago -- can it really be 15 years since I've been to mass?-- that so many of the responses to the liturgy have changed. It made me a little nostalgic but also comfortable with my Buddhist practice.

After the funeral, Jane and I escaped the meet and greet line to have lunch at a little tavern near the church. We sat on their deck and had glasses of chardonnay (her) and Guinness (me) and talked about how we're getting older and losing more friends and relatives. Of course, it wasn't all gloom and doom. We laughed about things and talked about the here and now as well. It was good. Lunch was crab cakes and a small salad for both of us. Then, Jane had to get off to some pet visits (her business is Love My Pet pet sitting and walking) and I went home and logged on to get some work done.

In the evening, we met the bereaved for drinks at O'C's and stayed far too late. I left the pub in a state of unease and sadness. Another friend had been with us and she became upset when she found out that the funeral had been that morning. She somehow missed the obituary in the paper (as had I) and felt that we should have told her about it. Though, how we could have known that she didn't know is beyond me. Still, she was quiet and pouted and was obviously determined to be upset. It bothered me more than I should have let it.

Day Six: In the morning, Jane and I performed a short play for a local AARP chapter. It was fun, though a little chaotic as we were arriving. Plans were a little confused, and we were later than they were expecting. It all turned out fine, though and a splendid time was had by all. Then off to lunch at Pi with Jane & Cindy. We all had beers, pizza and a delicious salad of lettuce, beets and mandarin slices with a vinaigrette. A nap in the afternoon and then Jane and I saw Act Inc's Travels With My Aunt based on Graham Greene's book. It was about 80% wonderful. The actors were all terrific and the simplicity of the costumes and sets gave the play a great deal of style. There were about 20 minutes in the second act that dragged. But I'm not sure if that's the fault of the script or the director. Even so, it was pretty darned good.

I had hoped to stay over at Jane's, but we were both worn out and it didn't happen. That, of course set me to worrying that she's tired of me or that I'd done something to make her mad at me. But when I look at it from a non-magical-thinking perspective, I believe we were both just tired and there's nothing to worry about.

Day Seven: I'll be directing a show in the fall for West End Players Guild called This Wide Night and met for lunch with Carrie who has been my assistant director and stage manager for several shows. I like working with her a lot and am glad she can do this one. We talked about the script, possible casting choices, designers we'd like to talk with and what's been going on with the two of our lives since we last sat down to talk. It was great and I wish I could do more of that; just meeting a friend for a meal and a good conversation. But I never seem to find the time for it.

I knew that Sunday would be busy with various activities for Father's Day and a meeting in the early evening. So, I went to visit with my dad. Take him a card and a present. When I got there, he was alone and a little confused. Dad is in the late-middle stages of dementia and is worsening quickly. My mother is still around and a brother and sister are living at home, but they had all gone to a show and Dad was there by himself. I sat with him and we talked a little, though he isn't much for conversation and never was. He watched some movie that he'd seen several times before and wanted to explain to me what was happening with the characters. It was a little sad, but I was happy to be able to spend some time with him. Who knows how much longer that will be possible.

That evening , it was back to the same pub for drinks with Jane, Cindy, and Chuck L. who had been reviewing a musical that evening. We drank too much (is this looking like a pattern for the weekend?) and solved the problems of the theater world. Much fun.

And..... I'm afraid I'm running out of steam and will have to finish this post tomorrow. Good night to all.

No comments:

Post a Comment