Wednesday, June 13, 2012

Day Four

I went to the Missouri Botanical Garden this evening for their Whitaker Music Festival with my girl friend, Jane and another friend. The music was provided by Miss Jubilee & the Humdingers and they were terrific. playing standards, jive, swing, and rockabilly tunes, the band was at the top of their game. The weather was also beautiful; early St. Louis summer with a nice breeze and temperatures in the 80's. Between the music, the beauty of the garden, the weather, the company, and some wine and snacks, a person couldn't ask for more. As we sat watching the sunset and the bats coming out and flying overhead (always fascinating to watch their aerobatics - pun intended - and I have to say, I'm eternally grateful for the winged mammals keeping the mosquitoes in their place), we could feel the tension of the week so far melting away.

But vying for the best part of the evening was when a group of college age kids sat down behind us. They were polite and having a good time as they enjoyed the weather and the music. They were a racially diverse group, intelligent and obviously good friends; laughing and so open and upbeat. Jane leaned over to me and said that this little group made her think there may be hope for this old world yet. I had to agree. If we can overcome the barriers of race and economic status and enjoy ourselves as one people, I think very good things are in our future. Typing this on my laptop, I am more hopeful about this world and this country than I was before the concert. And that must be a good thing, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment